[DeTomaso] Car lift group buy

SEL edlebby at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 14:50:06 EST 2007

Hi All - I wanted to address Chuck's last paranthetical - "if they'll fit in your garage" - I recently bought a 4 post lift for my 2 car residential garage - prior to that, I spent months researching garage door manufacturers and installers trying to figure out how to make it fit - I have 10.5' ceilings and so am very lucky there - even so, no one could give me a solution to maximize that space - one problem was that folks wanted to stay with my traditional opener, which needs to hook on to the middle door - so to high lift it, they needed to add either a standard 18" or 21" door panel, which left a lot of inches on the table - the solution...a new "jack shaft" opener for residential use from Liftmaster, released to the market last November.  This opener mounts on the side of the door, right at the torsion bar - so no center rail (which connected the traditional opener to the door), no additional door panels, and the door is now 6 inches off of the ceiling - as an
 additional plus, because this solution does not require additional door panels (a cost savings in of itself and allows added flexibility), the entire door does not go over on the horizontal as far...meaning it goes up 33 or so inches up vertically before before curving to the horizontal...as a result, when the door clears the jamb and stops raising, it has gone 33 or so inches LESS along the horizontal track, so this allows more vertical, useable sq. footage, as less of it is bisected by the door - hope this makes sense, anyone please feel free to email me for more info on the opener or the installer for the SCPOCA gang - thanks, stephen