[DeTomaso] Road Trip

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Mon Feb 26 21:42:21 EST 2007

I mostly carry this stuff to help other people.  Even if your car is OK,
there will always be some breakdown somewhere.

Most breakdowns come from not from driving hard but from old age.  Even with
the best efforts, stuff happens.  Fortunately, I have always made it home
under my own power -- in large part due to having some tools.  Over the last
few years, I have had the following put me on the side of the road for a few
minutes or a few hours.

* Cable comes loose from the battery post.  Fixed without tools.
* Cigar lighter grounds out against shift linkage blowing fuse which is
shared with radiator fans (don't ask).  Fixed with electrical tape and new
fuse.
* Oil pressure sender dies causing mild panic as indicated pressure hits
zero while in the middle of Nowhere, AZ.  Fixed with wrench and new sender.
* Loose connection on ammeter fries adjacent wires.  Fixed with a bolt to
bypass the ammeter and a lot of electrical tape.
* MSD tach adapter falls off mount and drags on the ground.  Fixed with zip
tie.
* Coolant temp sender suddenly reads low.  Fixed with info from cell phone
with Jack DeRyke on speed dial.
* Throttle cable comes off ball joint on carb.  Fixed with safety wire.
* Throttle cable ball joint breaks off of gas pedal.  Fixed with drill and
tap and a borrowed ball joint.
* Coolant barf when fans failed.  Fixed with a few bottles of water.

Each time I have occasion to need a tool and do not have it, it gets added
to the list for the next time.  Everything I take has been used at least
once by me or someone else.

Come to think of it, I have had modern cars put me on the side of the road
over night a few times.  Just last year, I spent three lovely days in
Bakersfield when the ignition wires fried on my 300zx at 5:01 on a Friday
night.