[DeTomaso] Volvo 240 Brake Calipers

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Sun Feb 25 05:05:32 EST 2007

Tony,

It depends on where you're located in the world and what purpose you have with your car. In Europe Wilwood and other race calipers are not a practical option for cost reasons and the lack of piston dust seals. Replacing caliper seals are not that big a deal but if you have rusted pistons the rebuild cost quickly gets higher than the cost of buying these Volvo calipers (around 100 USD each). In Europe I'm only aware of 1 (one) pad manufacturer, EBC, that supplies pads for the stock front calipers. There are "countless" suppliers for the Volvo calipers and they usually offer more than one pad material. For a street driven car the solid rotors will do OK and the stock brake pads will be the weakest link. Most people over here who upgrade to aftermarket parts keep the old parts as backup or for originality reasons so the market for used calipers is very small.

To sum it up, this is not a performance upgrade, it's a bolt on replacement that is readily available at a very good price. If you were happy with the stock brake calipers this will be an interesting alternative to rebuilding the stock calipers.

Tomas