[DeTomaso] Stainless steel question- Plasma Cutting Torch Method

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 22 22:08:43 EST 2007

One method that I've used with good success has been my plasma torch. I've
been able to cut both autenistic as well as martenistic stainless alloys.
Both 318 and 304 alloys, to be more precise.

One thing that I have noticed is that the capacity for cutting stainless
versus mild steel is about 70%, as a general rule of thumb. If I can cut
inch thick mild steel, I can usually cut 3/4" stainless plate. The speed is
slower with stainless, and you have to be very careful to maintain the jet.
In terms of comparison, I can cut 2" aluminum plate with the same settings
that it takes to cut 3/4" stainless. That stainless is pretty tough stuff.

Cutting with blades (bandsaws, jig saws, etc..), using a spray can of any
lubricant is a big help. Spraying WD-40 is better than dry cutting. And if
you have a metal cutting bandsaw with some kind of liquid lubrication
(flood, mist, or drip), using soluble oil in the water mix is a reasonable
alternative to doing it "dry".

And as always, your milage may vary....

Chris

Chris Difani