[DeTomaso] Steering Wheel Spacer

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Tue Feb 20 01:26:24 EST 2007

     I drive #4268 with the two pod dash.  It has always bugged me the way the steering wheel blocked the view of both the tach and the speedo.  During a lucid moment :-),  I thought "why not just move the steering wheel toward me"?  Somewhere I had seen "steering wheel spacers".  I went to the internet and found just what I was looking for.  I bought the Sparco #01595 ANR spacer for $78.95 delivered from Cardomain.com.  The spacer is 1.97 inches deep and it works great!  Visibility of both gauges is much improved.  Way cheaper than switching to the new style dash.  The only problem I have run into is that it is now a very long reach to the blinker lever,  especially when the high beams are on.  My finger stretching attempts are not working very well and are in fact, quite painful!  I'm thinking about trying to get a tubing bender on the blinker arm while in the car and bending the stalk back toward the steering wheel.  Will it work?  Does anyone have a better idea?
Thanks,
Art