[DeTomaso] engine cover fan gizmo

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Dec 31 00:08:31 EST 2007

Today I finished my custom engine cover, complete with cut out for the tall air cleaner, twin fans to cool the engine compartment and chrome pipes directing the air in the right direction.  I even covered it and the side pieces in black leather to match the interior of the car.

I ran a wire to the front and hooked it to the first radiator fan so the engine compartment fans will come on and off in tandem with the first of the three radiator fans.

The amazing thing is it all works!  Now, I haven't driven in hot weather yet, and when I do the possibility exists that the entire contraption will melt into a pool of goo, but I'm optimistic it will hold together--at least until I win the "most unusual accessory" award at my next car show!

I've chronicled the entire procedure with my wife's digital camera, from the cardboard and fiberglass to the fans I had to disassemble and rebuild.  It was actually a lot of fun.

I can imagine there are a more than a few Pantera purists out there groaning about all this, and the 5" diameter chrome pipes sticking out the back window area are definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of thing ("look ma, the guy who owns that sports car must have wanted to be a long-haul trucker..."), but the good news is the entire thing can be unplugged and removed in about five minutes, if necessary.

Now if those confounded grommets would arrive, I could finish rebuilding my heater.

Happy New Year everyone!

Sincerely,

Chris