[DeTomaso]   any ideas?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 28 09:35:01 EST 2007

I'm less convinced that it could be the intake.  If you have a leak there,
you're talking about a small leak on one or two ports.  It might make the
idle drop by 100rpm or so, but probably wouldn't make the engine die.

My 351c had a leak on cylinder #7.  The only symptom was pinging when it
shouldn't have pinged.  Other than that, it ran great.  I had removed the
bolt to install a throttle return spring.  In the process I hadn't torqued
the bolt back enough.  When I removed the intake, you could see a trail of
oil going into the port.  Several months later I removed the heads and you
could see specks missing from the #7 piston.  It looked like someone had
used a center punch on the piston about 20 times.

On the other hand, it only takes a little bit of dirt in the idle feeds or
idle air bleeds to make a carburetor run weird.  If one gets clogged, you
could lose up to 50% of your idle fuel.

Make sure you clean out all the little ports, bleeds, feeds, etc.  I've been
using B-12.  I clean out the carburetor every oil change.

Will.