[DeTomaso] any ideas?

dyogi dyogi at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Dec 28 00:37:59 EST 2007

A friend of mine is visiting family.  His cousin is a machinist and engine
builder there.  He and some racer guys were talking about car stuff and my
friend brought up my problem.  His cousin told him that my problem is likely
an internal vacuum leak.  His cousin had the exact same problem as I am
having and it turned out to be the intake gasket leaking on the oil valley
side, small enough not to cause oil fouling of the plugs.  His car like mine
would run well for about 15 minutes then refuse to idle at low rpm speeds.
I have my carburetor apart and am waiting for my overhaul kit ( I figure
that its due for an overhaul anyway even if it isn't the problem).  If that
doesn't solve the problem, I guess that the intake comes off for a reseal.
I never thought of an internal vacuum leak but I guess that its as possible
as an external one at the intake or carburetor base.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Dennis