[DeTomaso] Tire question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 23:09:14 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/27/07 19 54 52, timepiecepr2 at yahoo.com writes:

>   I am looking at a set of tires for my AC Mark IV (Cobra).  Can anyone
> tell me the difference in dimensions between a 245/50R16 and a 255/50R16?
>
>>>Uh...10mm. :>)

> The car is now shod in the rear with the 255, but they don't have its
> replacement.  Will the 245 be ok as a replacement?  The front is a 225/50R16.
>
>>>It will probably be fine.   The section width (that is, the width of the
widest part of the 'bulge' in the sidewall, normally halfway between the rim
and the surface of the tire) will be nominally 10mm narrower.   Too, the tire
will be marginally shorter, since the section height is expressed as a
percentage of the width (in this case, 50 percent, which is what the '50' means in the
tire size).   So the section height (distance from the rim mounting surface to
the tread) will be nominally exactly half the section width, or in this case,
122.5mm.   Your old tires would have been nominally 127.5mm, so the overall
difference in height would be about 10mm (5mm less at the top, 5mm at the
bottom).

>   Anyone have any experience with the Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position?

No first-hand experience, although I have been thrilled with the Bridgestone
Potenza RE750 (I run them on my Sciroccos, and in fact just mounted up a new
set of 205/50-15s on the silver one today).

All you would ever want to know about the tire sizes etc. can easily be found
on the manufacturer's website.   Here's the specs for the RE960, with all the
various heights, widths, wear ratings etc.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/SizeSpecs_BS_EN.aspx?Product_ID=11
12

Cheers!