[DeTomaso] Two Vent To Three Vent Conversion?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 02:22:20 EST 2007

Depending on your particular car, there may already be a   third hole behind
the cute little leatherette covered boss with the useless red seatbelt light
in it. In order the get the separate boss out of the way, you'll have to either
take the dash off in order to unbolt the little nuts that hold it on, or take
a deep breath and cut the dash around it. I'd make sure you have a 3rd vent
in hand before doing either- the vent assemblies aren't cheap or easy to find.
Your local vendor may have one or two around from salvaged cars but cutting
the hole too big will cause a stock vent assy to not fit and screw up the dash
upholstering.
The foam blocks that go between the air box and dash can be fiddled into
position from the outside- in fact, this is easier than holding them in position
while reattaching the dash. Expect to replace the foam in all the holes because
they disintegrate just like all 36-yr-old foam. Replacing the two foams you
have may give more cool air than you had before, as the mismatch between the
dash holes and the airbox holes was pathetically bad and the foam sorta sealed
up the mismatch. If you pop out the vents, you'll see what I mean.
Also think about whats going to happen with 3 holes   where two were before:
the air velocity from 3 holes will drop markedly compared to 2, unless you
increase the size of the fan supplying air to the box. I thought about this when
I had our dash out, and decided to leave the dash with 2 vents and higher
velocity air. Good luck & Happy New Year- J DeRyke