[DeTomaso] Two Vent To Three Vent Conversion?

scott black timepiecepr2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 11:28:39 EST 2007

What about improving the fan in the dash?  The stock dash fans seem to be about the size of ones used on CPU's these days.

Scott Black

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 12/25/07 18 22 47, artstephens at charter.net writes:

>      I am thinking about converting my early two pod dash with two vents to
> a three vent version.  Did the 73 and 74 cars come with three vents in the
> dash instead of two?
>
>>>No. That was a modification made by Bill Stroppe (and two other shops on
the east coast and the south) to the very first cars that came to the USA, as
part of the whole recall/rebuild affair for the '71 cars.

> It doesn't look like much trouble to cut a hole in the air box and dash
> and add another register.  Have others done this? If so,  how did it work?  I'm
> thinking I can get more cold air on me during the summer time if I do this?
> How much do those registers cost?
>
>>>The registers are unobtanium, for the most part. They have a nasty habit
of breaking, and they were unique to the Pantera (I've heard that some 60s
T-birds used one that was somewhat almost similar, but different). Realize
that there is a heater/air conditioning box behind the registers, with two holes
cut in it, so in order for a third register to be effective, you'd have to
pull the whole dash apart and cut a matching hole in the box, then equip it with
proper foam sealer etc. etc.

There are a lot of things you can do to improve A/C performance more than
adding another hole in the dash. Colder air is better than more warm air. And
I've been in Panteras with stock A/C setups (other than a rotary compressor)
that were uncomfortably cold with just two vents....

Mike (hoping to hook up his own A/C before long....)

See AOL's top rated recipes

TimePiece Public Relations
Dallas - Houston - New York
www.timepiecepr.com