[DeTomaso] Any Ideas?

J. Sean Keane spleen at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 24 18:38:44 EST 2007

Dennis wrote:
> Thanks all for the responses to my engine problem.  I have checked and
> changed the fuel filter and have fuel all the way to the carburetor bowls so I don't think that fuel delivery to that point is the problem.
Are you using a mechanical distributor, or some other form of ignition?
I once had a really weird problem that sounds a lot like yours, although
in my case the engine wouldn't always start again after it died
(although sometimes it would.)  The culprit turned out to be the
electronic ignition, but I only figured that out once it completely
fried itself, which took a while.  Until then, it was capable of
producing the most frustratingly inconsistent problems.  It acted a lot
like a vapor lock, because heating the electronics unit caused it to
fail, while letting it cool back down fixed it.  It's a shot in the
dark, but since you've already covered the other bases, maybe it's worth
a look.

Good Luck,

Sean