[DeTomaso] Clutch MC

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 15:52:08 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/24/07 10:38:30 AM, edlebby at yahoo.com writes:

> QUESTION: how do i get the linkage off? - i can't see the well because it
> slides off toward the console - is there a c clip over there like what holds
> the gas pedal on? - it looks like it might be a pin with a head...in which
> case perhaps the pin unscrews? - i notice a triangular piece of metal on the
> linkage side - is that meant to take a wrench?

Stripping the pedal system is not necessary. Unbolt ALL the pedal plate bolts
& nuts from around the periphery of the plate, and move the whole system
forward a few inches. The brake lines need not be disconnected except the vacuum
supply line. The hard lines will flex enough for this small movement. Then you
can (as I did) get a punch in there and knock the pin out. Alternatively, use
the Swedish Idea- a 2" hole saw into the side of the toe box at the proper
spot for access to knock out the pin. Plastic plugs are available at hardware or
auto parts stores for plugging up 2" holes in sheet metal. Once out, the pin
can be drilled for a cotter pin to replace a mangled circlip.
But if you do remove everything, first take a couple of photos up in there of
how all this stuff goes back together, and replace any worn parts. I used
pieces cut from old Chevy pushrods as hardened pins, and brazed up worn-out holes
in the links, then re-drilled. This made "bushings" in the links &   much
less slop in the system once I was done. I told you this job ain't easy! Good
luck- J DeRyke