[DeTomaso] Head Bolts or Studs?

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Fri Dec 21 19:41:33 EST 2007

     I have to decide whether I want studs or head bolts to hold my new CHI aluminum heads to my Cleveland block.  My concern with studs was that I thought it made it impossible to get the head off in the car,  is that right?  Someone told me that it would be better to use the studs since I have aluminum heads on a cast iron block and because of the different expansion rates of the two metals,  the stud would give more to allow the aluminum to expand?  I'm planning to use ARP fasteners.  One potential advantage to the bolts,  is that the small headed bolts should allow retorquing without removing the valve train.  So what do youse guys think?

Art