[DeTomaso] Panteras to Europe?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 23:14:11 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/17/07 20 09 4, timepiecepr2 at yahoo.com writes:

>   I am not interested in selling my Pantera, but was curious if the weak
> dollar has resulted in Panteras going to European buyers.  I have been talking
> to a Brit who is interested in my AC Mark IV (Cobra in the UK).  With the
> exchange rate, I might be able to get what I want and he gets what is - to him -
> a bargain.

Scott,

There is a veritable flood of cars going from the USA to Europe right now,
including De Tomasos.   I have helped broker the sale of three Mangustas and a
Pantera to the same pair of buyers in the UK in the past year, and they are
hungrily looking for more.   Quite a few Panteras have recently gone to Sweden as
well.

With respect to your AC Mk IV, feel free to mark the price up to a point well
above its true value in the USA, then market it in the UK.   With the
positive exchange rate and the high cost of quality cars over there, UK buyers will
rightly feel that you are practically giving the car away, yet you will
conclude the deal with thousands of dollars more than had you sold it to an American
buyer.

BTW, if anybody knows of any Mangusta restoration candidates for sale, let me
know.   My buddies passed on two cars being sold by the same fellow down in
So-Cal as they were riddled with rust, and the seller was oblivious to the fact
(and obnoxious too), insisting that they were perfect and thus worth $100K
for the pair.   Solid, straight, preferably dismantled cars that are complete
are specifically what these guys are after.