[DeTomaso] Hot air

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 20:51:17 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/17/07 17 43 7, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I'm going to add an electric fan to each side to more effectively vent the
> hot air out of the engine bay, too.  So far I've formed the aluminum supports
> and fiberglassed the basic form--more this weekend.
>
> If it turns out alright, I'll send pictures to the forum.  If it turns out
> really bad, you won't hear it mentioned again...!

Chris,

I'm sure the fans might be effective, but they won't accomplish anything
meaningful.   The ambient air temperature and airflow in the engine bay has zero
effect on the engine's ability to run cool.   However, the additional
electrical load of the electric fans will make the alternator work harder, which in
turn will marginally drive engine temperature up!

The airflow in the engine bay goes from bottom to top, by the way, exiting
out from the decklid opening.   A fair bit of heat is also extracted into the
rear wheelwells.   Adding fans will simply create a bit of a warm breeze when
the car is standing still, so you can stand next to your car and warm your hands
a bit, but otherwise will have no beneficial effect whatsoever.

I know it's cold, dark and rainy up there right now, but I would urge you to
devote your time to a project that is more productive.   You are literally
blowing hot air with this one. :>)