[DeTomaso] Engine/distributor questions

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Dec 17 20:42:30 EST 2007

I, too, am using the MSD ready-to-run set up, and it does work great.  Not only is it too tall for the stock engine screen, mine is right up against the base of the back window, too.

My car had no engine screen, and I added a very tall K&N air filter, so I am in the process of fabricating my own engine cover which allow for the filter and distributer to be used (and seen) unencumbered.

I'm going to add an electric fan to each side to more effectively vent the hot air out of the engine bay, too.  So far I've formed the aluminum supports and fiberglassed the basic form--more this weekend.

If it turns out alright, I'll send pictures to the forum.  If it turns out really bad, you won't hear it mentioned again...!

Sincerely,

Chris
#3846> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:35:40 -0800> From: jmontero at fcmat.org> To: MikeLDrew at aol.com; detomaso at realbig.com; bergeron.s at wanadoo.fr> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Engine/distributor questions> > Mike, > > I used the MSD ready to run distributor in my car for four years or so> without any problem. It basically replaces the mechanical points with> an optical trigger. There is no need to install an external ignition> box although one can be used if desired. It is a little bit of a> challenge to fit the MSD ready to run distributor under the stock engine> screen but other than that it was a direct bolt-in and a very good,> trouble-free unit. > > In my latest ignition upgrade, I went with a Crane electronic> distributor and external ignition box.> http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=127&action=partSpec> &partNumber=1000-1605> > This distributor, in addition to using an optical trigger in place of> mechanical points, allows you to set the mechanical and vacuum advance> electronically. I opted for this distributor because of this> flexibility (there are literally hundreds of combinations of advance> curves you can dial in with a simple twist of a small switch located on> the exterior of the distributor housing) and the fact that the unit is> physically smaller than the MSD ready to run making the fit against the> firewall and under the engine screen much better. I also added the> Crane external ignition box and one of their performance coils to> complete the system. It's been on the car for 6 months or so without> issue. > > Joel> > Joel Montero, CEO> Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team> jmontero at fcmat.org> 707.775.2850> Barbara Smith, Administrative Assistant> 661.636.4308> > -----Original Message-----> From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com]> On Behalf Of MikeLDrew at aol.com> Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:12 AM> To: detomaso at realbig.com; bergeron.s at wanadoo.fr> Subject: [DeTomaso] Engine/distributor questions> > Hi guys, with a special ping for Dan Jones,> > My buddy Stephane Bergeron in Paris, owner of pushbutton #1256, which> has > been undergoing a slow-motion restoration complete with upgrades such as> a > 427-inch Windsor, big brakes, etc. etc. etc., finally got tired of> having a project > but not a Pantera, so he took the expedient of purchasing a second> Pantera.> > It's a 1979 Euro GTS, #9119, built on a GT5-S-style chassis. > > http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/StephanePanteraGTS.zip> > The previous owner had picked it up with a forklift and stuck it high up> on a > mezzanine in a warehouse where it then sat for more than ten years. So> > Stephane now has to recommission it for the road.> > The questions he/I have are:> > 1) What kind of 351C is this car likely to have? As a 1979 model I> would > think that it was built with an Australian 351C, but I know not all> "Aussie" > motors are equal. Some are quite desirable, others are dogs. How can> he > tell what he has? Aren't there some fitment issues with motors of this> period, > i.e. non-standard distributors? Thomas, didn't you have all sorts of> fun and > games with this one?> > 2) He wants to replace the stock dual-point ignition system. The> default > answer seems to be small-base MSD distributor, but the ones I have (and> have > seen) have mechanical advance only. Does anybody know if MSD is making> a > small-base distributor with a vacuum advance setup? Also, MSD makes a> 'ready to > run' distributor, which does what exactly? Get rid of the need for an > external MSD6AL box, integrating those electronics into the body of the> distributor > itself? What other ignition suggestions might you have? Remember> that r> eliability is crucial, as you can't pop into your neighborhood Kragen's> to pick > up spare parts in rural France!> > Stephane isn't on the forum so please hit 'reply all' with your answers> so he > can get them directly.> > Thanks in advance for your help!> > Mike> > > **************************************> See AOL's top rated recipes > (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso