[DeTomaso] Engine #'s

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 16 20:03:54 EST 2007

Mike, Will, (and others...)

Along with a bunch of search functions, I'm about to release the
"Numbers Matching" information/example.  It's a stand alone part of
a larger section on the Factory, DeTomaso history, Pantera Production, and
VIN info.

Here is the draft page, just for the Matching Motor Number question.

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomasoFactory/MatchingMotorNumber.asp

Although my old website has some examples, you'll likely find this
page Mucho better.

Chuck Melton

In a message dated 12/16/07 13 27 46, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> How do you tell if the Pantera's engine is original? Is there a code in
the
> VIN that matches to the engine number?

Not in the VIN, but rather on the engine build tag.

There is a metal tag with a five-digit number stamped on it, affixed
(normally) on the inside of the left rear wheelwell, and another on the top
of the box
that mounts the brake booster, with a cutout for the VIN to show through.
The engine number is stamped on these tags.   De Tomaso stamped the back of
each
engine block, just below the cylinder head, with this same number.   Often
if
the block is repainted the numbers are filled in and are thus difficult if
not impossible to read.   But the overwhelming majority of Panteras seem to
have
non-original blocks, with no numbers at all.

Mike Dailey's site has a a page dedicated to VIN plate identification, but
ironically his car is missing the main plate which goes aroun the VIN!

http://www.panteraplace.com/page110.htm

Chuck Melton's site shows a variety of different ID tags:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/IDBadges.asp?

Mike

See AOL's top rated recipes