[DeTomaso] Engine/distributor questions

Curt Hall cuvee at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 16 14:39:45 EST 2007

Hey Mike...

  Nice car!
  Does Stephane just have to go Hot-rod stuff? If not, Pertonix is ease and under $100 bucks (US) I also found a back up on the net for $35. Had mine for over five years without a problem. Check Summit or Jegs.

  Good Luck

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
  Hi guys, with a special ping for Dan Jones,

My buddy Stephane Bergeron in Paris, owner of pushbutton #1256, which has
been undergoing a slow-motion restoration complete with upgrades such as a
427-inch Windsor, big brakes, etc. etc. etc., finally got tired of having a project
but not a Pantera, so he took the expedient of purchasing a second Pantera.

It's a 1979 Euro GTS, #9119, built on a GT5-S-style chassis.

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/StephanePanteraGTS.zip

The previous owner had picked it up with a forklift and stuck it high up on a
mezzanine in a warehouse where it then sat for more than ten years. So
Stephane now has to recommission it for the road.

The questions he/I have are:

1) What kind of 351C is this car likely to have? As a 1979 model I would
think that it was built with an Australian 351C, but I know not all "Aussie"
motors are equal. Some are quite desirable, others are dogs. How can he
tell what he has? Aren't there some fitment issues with motors of this period,
i.e. non-standard distributors? Thomas, didn't you have all sorts of fun and
games with this one?

2) He wants to replace the stock dual-point ignition system. The default
answer seems to be small-base MSD distributor, but the ones I have (and have
seen) have mechanical advance only. Does anybody know if MSD is making a
small-base distributor with a vacuum advance setup? Also, MSD makes a 'ready to
run' distributor, which does what exactly? Get rid of the need for an
external MSD6AL box, integrating those electronics into the body of the distributor
itself? What other ignition suggestions might you have? Remember that r
eliability is crucial, as you can't pop into your neighborhood Kragen's to pick
up spare parts in rural France!

Stephane isn't on the forum so please hit 'reply all' with your answers so he
can get them directly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

See AOL's top rated recipes