[DeTomaso] NPC - MPG problems

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 01:32:49 EST 2007

No Pantera Content, but I figured you guys would find this interesting.

This is about our Honda Insight, so if you find this stuff boring, click on
the big X.

We happily averaged 60-75 mpg on the highway for the first year we had the
Insight.  Recently, however, we've had a hard time getting better than 55.
The average was a dismal 51.

Was it?

1.	The front-end alignment?  My wife recently hit something such that
we had to have a wheel repaired.  The tire was toast.  The rim had a nasty
dent.  The wheel guy had to bend it back, and weld the crack.  He did a
great job, but maybe the force threw out the alignment.  The steering wheel
is slightly cocked to one side.
2.	Tire pressure?  Don't laugh, it seems to make at least 5mpg
difference to air the tires to 45psi.  I haven't checked them in a while, so
maybe they were losing air.
3.	The Battery?  That's what everyone usually suspects with hybrids.
4.	Fuel injectors?  There are only 3 cylinders.  If one injector is
spraying like a dawg, it could be leaking too much fuel in 1 cylinder.
5.	Air filter?  I've never changed the air filter (50,000 miles).
Maybe it's plugged.
6.	O2 sensors?

There weren't any check-engine lights showing.

I checked the alignment by dropping a plumb bob and measuring the toe.  It
was 1/8" toe in.  I don't know the factory setting, but surely 1/8" wouldn't
be enough to hurt mileage.  I'm still going to take it to an alignment shop,
just to make sure it's okay.  I'd also like the steering wheel pointing
straight.  At any rate, the alignment wasn't my problem.

Tire pressure?  I haven't checked it yet.  I know.  It's simple.  I've been
working on the road a lot.  My home time is limited.  I'll check the air
pressure this weekend.

The battery?  The charge lights all looked normal.  There are 3 lights.  One
shows the charge.  One lights up when the motors assists the engine.  One
lights up when the batteries are being charged either by taxing the engine
or by regenerative braking.  All of the indicators have been completely
normal.

Fuel injectors?  I added a can of injector cleaner and drove to Dallas.  I
averaged 51.3 mpg.  Great for the p-car.  Lousy for an Insight.

Air filter?  I tried to buy one from Autozone.  They didn't have one in
stock.  I was leaving the next day for Dallas, so I passed.  I bought one at
a Honda dealership in Dallas.  I was rewarded with 80mpg from Dallas to
Ennis.  I topped off the tank in Ennis, and averaged 70mpg at 70mph from
Ennis to Houston.

How dirty was the filter?  The clean side was completely clean.  The dirty
side was dirty, but nothing like the air filters look on most "driven"
Panteras.  True, 50,000 is a long time for an air filter, but I sure didn't
expect a 20mpg difference.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Will.