[DeTomaso] New leather seat covers

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 7 22:51:35 EST 2007

They can be seen here:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Parts4Sale/KelmSeats.asp

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of Curt Hall
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 6:40 PM
To: Douglas Kelm; J. Sean Keane; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] New leather seat covers

The Fiero seats with the speakers was my second choice! Nice seats also! It
just happened that I found the Recaros first.
  Doug's Fiero seats would be a nice way to go, at a fair price. Doug is
right, the seat do seat a little high. But that can be adjusted a little!

Douglas Kelm <dakelm at qwest.net> wrote:
  On the subject of recovered/replacement seats, let me offer this shameless
plug for some seats I have for sale. Another alternative to Recaros are
Fiero seats, a very high quality seat made for GM by the Lear Corp - yes,
the jet and OEM seating company. When I had my Pantera, I was very gungho on
replacing the stock seats with a more comfortable/supportive seat and to
that end purchased an excellent pair of Fiero seats ('84-'85 version with
the speakers in the headrests) and had them recovered with Mr. Mikes very
high quality seat covers (Vetter style in black with pistol grip, waffle
pattern, seating surfaces). I also designed and fabricated adapter rails to
interface with the stock Pantera seat tracks so that these seats are a bolt
in, plug and play item for the Pre-L (and maybe the L - if they use the same
tracks) Pantera. Mr Mike gets $700 for the cover kit. I will let these seats
(which are brand new, never installed in a car) go for $850, which means for
$150 you get the seats themselves (mint condition Fiero donors), expertly
covered, with adapter tracks, and the Fiero pigtail radio speaker connector
for $150. There is one thing you should be aware of with Fiero (and probably
Recaros, too) seats: they have about 2 3/8 inch LESS head room than stock
Pantera seats. So if you are over 5'10" tall your head might hit the roof.
Which is why I never installed them in my car. Or rather, I should say, I
did install them momentarily to see if they fit me, which they did not!
BUMMER! After discovering this, I had visions of installing them in a street
rod, nut that did not materialize. Bottom line, if you're thinking about
going the Fiero seat route. you should consider these seats I have. I can
email you many pictures of the seats, including side by side comparison with
stock Pantera seats, if you wish. For info on Mr Mikes seat covers see:
www.mrmikes.com .

Doug Kelm
ex #2886 Yellow 1972 Pre-L