[DeTomaso] driver's side window question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 00:48:48 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/6/07 7:44:35 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might repair the damage.  Is there a
> type of grinding or polishing wheel that would work?  Is some sort of NOVUS
> technique viable?

Try a local glass shop- the bigger the better. There's a 'polishing' system
available, using a slurry made of micron-fine cerium powder and a hard felt
buffing wheel. Problem is, by the time you grind out substantial scratches,
you've introduced waviness in the glass; we're deaing with light-waves here! Rule
of Thumb (or Finger): if your fingernail catches in a scratch, it'll be too
deep to fix. The kit wasn't cheap and you MUST flood the window with water all
during polishing or the glass gets hot and cracks. The system is intended for
minimizing small scratches or chips in unobtrusive areas- you'd have to
basically re-do the entire window to remove scatches and minimize waviness.   I got a
used window from a vendor, personally.
The scratches are often from a factory sheet metal screw used to hold OEM
'fuzzies' to the door. The absolute best thing you can do is to remove that screw
in the middle of each door (if its still there) and throw it into a vacant
lot. Not having the middle screw there does nothing to the function of the
fuzzy, incidently. Good luck with your phone calls- J DeRyke