[DeTomaso] Fluidyne Radiator Repair from Zip Ties

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 00:30:09 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/6/07 4:38:05 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> If the leak from the zip tie (drivers side inferior corner) is near the
> edge would anyone suggest trying to fix rather than replace?

Most leaks in radiators of any material are quick-fixed by reaching into the
core face (front or back-whichever's closer to the bad tube) with needle-nose
pliers and squeezing a tube or two closed, thus stopping the leak. Doesn't
look very good and you lose cooling from that tube (or tubes), plus this is a
very temporary fix. A real fix will require cutting the tank off and welding
(probably plugging the bad tube as before but it;ll look better), then rewelding
the tank on. MIght be 50% of the cost of a new one. Corvette shops have been
running alloy radiators since the '60s- you might try one & see if they have a
cheap fix. Personally, I'd call Fluidyne (not one of their local rep's), tell
them what happened and see if they have any suggestions. You might get lucky!
Good luck- J DeRyke