[DeTomaso] Fluidyne Radiator Repair from Zip Ties

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:37:09 EST 2007

I have Fluidyne radiator about 1.5 yrs old.  Just got the car this summer. Previous owner had the radaitor installed by a Pantera vendor right before he sold it.  I had heard about the zip ties and radiator leaks but had not gotten around to fixing it due to other Pantera problems.  I asked the installer about a warranty and was told he has never heard of anything like this and has twenty Panteras sitting there with zip ties with no leaks.  Did I mention the fans run constantly anytime the key is in the ignition even when cold?   Fluidyne has a 1 yr warranty so no luck there.

If the leak from the zip tie (drivers side inferior corner) is near the edge would anyone suggest trying to fix rather than replace?  The fans are not large enough to reach top and bottom radiator frames to screw in.  Thus would one need to replace with larger fans? I see pics of custom made radiator backing plates but these appear to require TIG welding.  The local welding company fried both pieces I have taken them thus far, so not wanting to try with a 500$ radiator.

I assume replacement would be the consensus but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance,

Clay (donating plasma for radiators)