[DeTomaso] COOK ENT EFI INDIVIDUAL BILLET AIR FILTERS

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:54:45 EST 2007

> Now you might understand my struggle with compromise.  If I'm quoted
> on something, please understand that it is probably out of context.

Nice post Mike.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

> The velocity stacks that are on Dennis's system are 2" tall in an
> effort to keep the total length of the system as short as possible
> and provide the requested "bling".

Another difference between my set-up and the one you put together for
Dennis is I'm using the low profile throttle plates and manifold mounted
injectors.  That's another compromise.  Using the taller TWM throttle
bodies with injector pockets puts the injector closer to an optimal
placement for power but the TWM units are considerably more expensive
and require notching of the decklid.  I was actually leaning towards
notching the decklid as I like the look of the stacks in the rear view
mirror.  I changed my mind after running the simulations.  Even with
the short stacks, the low and mid range torque was better than a plenum
intake and sufficient for my use on street tires.  I suspect the shorter
stacks are a better match to my short tube headers as well.  Of course,
graphs on the computer screen are one thing and seat-of-the-pants is
another thing entirely so it might be worthwhile to leave the decklid
off and run with a couple of different stack heights to see how noticeable
the difference really is.  I'm surprised at the height of some of the
sprint car stacks.  They are taller than I expected, given the RPM range
they operate in but they run much larger area throttle bodies which would
require a taller stack for the same resonant RPM.

> The large radius velocity stacks like on Dennis's system will not
> fit inside any of the weber style filter assembles.

I have Larry's Weber set up here to test.  It has very tall filters
but they actually trimmed off the bellmouth on the end stacks to get
them to fit.  Doesn't look like a good thing to do but my guess is
they needed to trim the overall length of the filters so the decklid
would clear when raised.

> The units like Kelly has and the Cook units look great but have
> performance problems.  I'm stuck in the middle trying to come up
> with a compromise. Have I mentioned that I hate compromises?

Any chance we'll be able to test some of this when you come up for
the dyno runs?  I've got the different stack heights and can run
with and without the filters in place but I don't have any stacks
with a larger bellmouth radius.  Given our different diameter
throttle bodies, our parts won't interchange.  I recall pictures
you sent with a very fat lip bellmouth and a narrower one.  Were
those for the same or different applications?

Dan Jones