[DeTomaso] [SCPOCA] Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 20:59:13 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/3/07 17 48 50, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I yelled obsenities.
>
> The pin that holds the clutch m/c pushrod clevis on the pedal was nearly
> welded to the pedal.
>
> I'm not even sure if that's the proper term for the clevis, but if you've
> done this non-fun job, you know what I mean.
>
> If you've done this job with the pedals mounted in the car, I'll buy you a
> beer - out of sympathy.  'Course, you have to be in my general vicinity for
> the offer to be good.  ;-)

I have done it, in the car, and it was indeed no fun.   Like a robot, I saw
the new clutch master cylinder with its new pushrod and clevis, and then read
the manual which tells you to remove the pin and withdraw the assembly, and so
I struggled and fought with it (on somebody else's car, no less).

It wasn't until years later that I suddenly realized that I could have/should
have left the clevis and pin and pushrod from the old master in place (after
all, there was nothing wrong with them, and they were even properly adjusted)
and just changed the master unit alone.   I subsequently did that (on another
somebody else's car) and it was a piece of cake.   However, he had his
original pushrod totally maladjusted so I still wound up under his dash, threading
the stupid rod to set the pedal height propery.