[DeTomaso] Fw: exhaust ports on aftermarket heads

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 16:49:29 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/3/07 10:26:57 AM, daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com writes:

> CHI says the 3V exhaust bolt holes are raised 0.4 inch. The high ports were
> raised considerably higher than that. Phil (in London) has a set of CHI's
> coming my way. I'll measure them and will take pictures comparing the port
> locations of the CHI, Pro Comp, A3, C302B, iron high ported 4V,
> along with iron 2V and 4V. CHI 4V heads have standard height intake and
> exhaust ports, designed for people that don't want to have the hassle of changing
> intake and headers.

We're bolting headers onto surfaces that are close to 45 degrees to the
horizontal. Due to geometry, headers move sideways by a predictable ratio. On my
SVO A-3 exhausts, redrilled Hedman hedders moved outboard far enough that #6
pipe hit the fuel tank and shield, and at their lower ends, the collector and
flange on both sides hit the rear coil-overs. Both were correctible with some
trouble, but without correction, I couldn't even get bolts started in the header
flanges. Depending on your facilities, one may need custom headers for some
'hi-port' heads in a Pantera and it'll be interesting to see which do. FWIW- J
DeRyke