[DeTomaso] Evidence of helmet chin-strap failure at Pony Expressaccident - Helmet chin-strap design

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 17:20:56 EDT 2007

We  should get some actual feedback from Hans engineers via Mike Borders in a few weeks.

  As I said earlier there are allot of different variations and opinions  of where or how the chin strap failed...I think it is as you, Chuck and Michael previously noted...just a reminder to make sure you and your team double check your chin strap along with your harness to make sure it is in fact secured properly.

  md

Mark McWhinney <msm at portata.com> wrote:
  Did the strap actual break or was it the mount points on the helmet or D
rings, or did the strap just come undone?

The straps on my Bell helmet are Kevlar. I am guessing that the other major
brands use Kevlar or something of equal strength. I cannot believe that the
strap itself would tear in two.

I hate those double D rings. It always seems to take me a while get it
threaded through -- usually while someone is waiting behind me to get on the
track. I bought one of those quick snap clips a while ago, but I am
wondering now if that is a good idea to actually install it.