[DeTomaso] Headlights, fans, etc

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 29 16:53:09 EDT 2007

I had The Winged Warrior turn signal / headlight switch rebuilt by SOBill Taylor.
The headlight switch went in easy and solved the problems with the high beams going dark when the right turn signal was activated and also the varying brightness from the right to left headlights (opposite side went brighter when I switched from low to high).
I installed a new fan switch from Byers for the manual sucker fan, then noticed a blown fuse. The new fuse started smoking and melting each time I turned on the fan. I noticed the fan blades were making contact with the radiator fins and creating alot of resistance due to a coolant tube pushing the fan forward. I corrected this and the fan and fuse seem to be doing fine. I didn't realize that resistance on a motor could cause a fuse to smoke?
My headlights were still very dim so I tried tracing their ground wire, but it seemed to go into a harness which disapears into the firewall.
Curiously, I noticed corrosion on the ground wire connection for the temperture activated push fans. I jumped this to the negative battery terminal and the fans starting switching on again. The curious thing was I think the headlights (at least on high beam) got brighter. Is it possible this could be the ground wire for the headights as well as the fans?
Anyway, the low beams are still so dim as to look like parking lights. I have the halogen bulbs and the square headlights already. Is there something else to check or do I just have to update to the newfangled headlight system?

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456