[DeTomaso] DeTomaso] Do I own a Pantera or a Gremlin...?

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Wed Aug 29 12:41:16 EDT 2007

Thanks for the replies/suggestions:

"I've had this happen on a Fiero (although the Fiero belt is a multi V). The
belt glass (or kevlar etc) reinforcement gives up through normal wear and
tear, the belt stretches. It then slips, squeals, gets hot, melts, and
snaps. QED."

"Chris, "New alternator" may be the key to the noise and smoke. When the new
alternator was installed perhaps the pulley was out of alignment. That will
do in a belt in short order."

"You could have an alternator bearing going bad, binding intermittentlyand
making the belt slip."

Interestingly, the alternator belt and alternator are both new, and the
alignment seems to be right on (I got the new bracket at the same time as
the rest of the stuff when I ordered the flat firewall kit from Pantera
Performance).

When inspecting the belt, it appears as if something actually hit it, or got
jammed against it since you can clearly see a "mash" mark.  We're still
investigating, but it is becoming clearer that was the cause of the smoke,
not the clutch (whew!)  Maybe I'll make it to the European car show in
Seattle this weekend after all!

Chris