[DeTomaso] Pony Express Accident

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:31:15 EDT 2007

Dennis wrote:
In the ensuing moments after the crash there was enough force to pull both
their helmets and restraints OFF in the crash.

  Years ago when my flight surgeon made the initial adjustment on my
aviation helmet he insured it was so tight it hurt like hell to wear it.
The chin strap felt like it was strangling me.  "That's the way it's
supposed to fit...you get used to it".  I did get used to it.  I also found
out he was a key man in flight safety/accident investigation, specifically
helmet issues.
  Today my Bell helmet fits very snug and I wear the chin strap tight even
though I just creep along at a 124mph tech speed.  I'd bet 95% of the
helmets in amatuer racing fit way too loose and are chosen for style and
comfort above safety.  You can check yours by putting it on normally with
the chin strap fastened and trying to pull it off.  Tilt your head forward
and pull up on the back of the helmet to try to roll it off the front of
your head.  Pull HARD.  If the helmet comes way up and forward on your head,
it's too loose...there's a good chance it could come off in a hard forward
hit.  This is just a simple test and doesn't tell the whole story, but I
hope it helps somebody.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa at Big Bend ORR, April 26 2008!