[DeTomaso] Clearance issues

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 16:06:07 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/28/07 10:15:20 AM, Tipo874 at aol.com writes:

<< Before I begin to  repair this damage, I am curious what others think will
be adequate clearance to prevent this from occuring in the future.  >>

If it's a stock fuel tank shield, this is made of  two layers of aluminum
separated by (oh horrors!) a sheet of asbestos. Asbestos like any other woven
material will soak up stuff over the years so the smoking probably was whatever
boiling off.  My stock shield touched our Hooker headers adapted to SVO A-3
heads which move the headers outboard by over 1"; I shifted the tank as far
outboard as the hold-down would allow, added a second bolt to the slot to keep it
set as far outboard as possible and carefully made a dent in the tank AND
shield with my Porta-Power. All this gave me 1/4" of clearance at the tightest
spot; after 15 years, the aluminum closest to the shield is blistered but
apparently not quite perforated. So it appears that 1/4" of air gap is not  enough if
you drive the car hard. And a shiny Hall shield besides a stock shield will
obviously require even more clearance.  FWIW- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>