[DeTomaso] Pantera Design Question

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Tue Aug 28 03:08:04 EDT 2007

I didnt catch the reason for the start of this discussion, just that somone
asked for  who designed the Pantera suspension. Then it appear like
there was  something bad with the system. The cars sold in the USA
with rised ride height, was definitley not recomended by mr Dallara.
If ride height is altered the Rc will, and  this upset the handling. The
right
ride height is the one the car was originally  designed for, as fare as
mr Dallara is concerned.

I newer know that Dallara was the designer, but read the site about him
yesterday. If anyone remember I stated that the Countach used the same
geometry which now make sense. However, BMW M1 does the same
along with a number of other cars. Its about comon way of doing things,
at least for that period of  time.
So, this is nothing specific for the Pantera, but the spring balance is a
bit suited
for the car.

Even if we had the opportunity to speak with mr Dallara I dont thing we
should get a very good answer since this type of question has a number
of reasons involved, some less easy to explain and may even not be
allowed to make  public.
Also, we should get the answer according to the formulation of the
question. In general, I wouldnt talk about "improvement" since everything
is made to  suit a certain circumstances. A public car has a very public
setting, different  roads and weathers, and might by  that meaning be
optimal. If we like a little more "driver friedley" setting for sporty
driving,
the  setting mentioned by JDR is quite ok. But what happen is that it will
create another using range of the car with a moost likley "narrower" band,
I couldnt tell  for sure.

Goran