[DeTomaso] Pantera Design Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 01:26:13 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/27/07 8:42:21 PM, pantera at pobox.com writes:

<<...Ford told Detomaso to make it handle worse to keep people safe.  They
figured that sliding at slower speeds was safer. My question is what did they
change to hamper the handling.... >>

Not sure it was diabolically intentional by anyone, Dave, and I've never met
Dr Dallara, but If I ever do, I'll ask him about the following simple things
that are well known to each improve the Pantera's handling:

A- add a 7/8" GTS solid rear swaybar (or a 1" hollow unit) while leaving the
stock front size alone.
B- Lower the steering rack with spacers about 5/16" to correct bump-steer.
C- increase stock caster from a max of 2.7 to at least 4.7 for more high
speed stability and quicker self-correction. A 2 degree nose-down rake helps too.
D- remove the front and rear spring spacers added to U.S cars to raise the
car for DOT headlight height requirements (since rescinded).
E- add 1" of negative offset to the front wheels to reduce tire scrub in
turns. This is easily done by adding another pair of stock 8" Campys to the front
and scrap the stock 7" Campys. Easier steering & less tire wear results.

All these except the caster change were done at the factory to Euro-only Gr-3
street-legal Panteras- such as Mats Gorski's daily driver, and most were
included in post-Ford-era Panteras; none require aftermarket parts (except the
hollow swaybars). All the above mods tend to make the Pantera more neutral
handling, while I believe Ford felt that an understeering car like a Galaxie sedan
was safer on the street for the general U.S public. A neutral or oversteering
car, especially with a powerful engine, is far less forgiving for a tired or
inattentive driver.  My 2¢- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>