[DeTomaso] NPC but relevant no less to driving my Pantera-GPS-navigator

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Mon Aug 27 10:19:28 EDT 2007

I have just recently upgraded my Mio 269+ from miomap 2, which was based
on Navion, to miomap 3.2, which is now based on iGO and uses an SD card
instead of the built in disk in the 269+.

I generally think that miomap 3.2 is an improvement, although there are
a few things I really miss from v2.

Advantages with 3.2:
---
Waaaaaaay faster.

Much nicer map display, including continuous 2d to 3d display, and zoom
and rotate.

Easily used without the stylus.

User POI:s

Speed cam support built in, with direction.

Satellite view

TMC messages sorted on distance.

Trace logs.

Correct altitude. Handles WGS-84. No more -50 m when I'm clearly not
drowning :-)

Dynamic zoom.

Automatic day/night displays, calculated from position and sun calendar :-)

Dynamic volume control, calculated from vehicle speed.

Global maps available. I now have maps for the US, parts of Africa,
Australia, parts of Asia, instead of just Western Europe.

Things I miss from v2:
---

Route planning! v2 allowed you to plan multiple routes, which could be
saved, retrieved, edited, etc. In v3 you have only the current route.

Favorites, including full address, phone number, etc. In v3 you have to
use POI:s, and user defined POI:s can not have any additional properties
like phone numbers.

TMC can be configured to recalculate the route: 1) automatically, 2) ask
the user, 3) never. In v3 you can only do automatic or never, and
frequently the messages are not relevant.

Slightly more confusing menu system. It still takes a lot of flipping
around when I'm looking for a particular feature, although you can do it
with your finger tips, instead of having to use the stylus.

Thomas