[DeTomaso] Oscillating vibration

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 18:04:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/26/07 12 48 53, cengles at cox.net writes:

>               "Half-shafts in phase"......?     I recall hearing of this in
> the past, but I can't remember what the heck it is.   Could you refresh my
> failing memory?

The halfshafts can be disassembled, by unthreading the collar in the center
and separating the two halves.   They are 'clocked' and balanced, and there are
arrows stamped on each side to ensure that they go back together the same way
they came apart.   But the splines are universal, so you can accidently clock
them in any number of different ways.   If the U-joints aren't properly
liined up with one another, it will create a horrendous vibration problem!

Mike (who sat for hours on the side of the road in rural England with George
Gordon-Smith and his Mangusta, waiting for a tow truck, after he picked it up
from a race shop that had tuned the suspension and accidently put the
driveshafts together wrong, leading to horrendous vibration at certain road
speeds....)