[DeTomaso] Axles and halfshafts

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 11:18:13 EDT 2007

Will,

U joints should be replaced.? Pricing, though not cheap, has come down a lot since years ago.? Half shafts themselves are not a problem.? If you want to go absolutely bulletproof, upgrade to the Spicer replacement shafts/u-joints set up.? I have however heard that Spicer has discontinued part (all?) of the shaft pieces.? Buying u-joints remains no problem.

What breaks are the stub axles.? I have heard of several stock, hollow stub axles breaking.? These? pieces are machined on the outside, but are pretty rough on the inner cavity, creating lots of good starting places for stress cracking.? All the vendors have solid, some billet and some forged, replacement $tub axle$.?? I have never heard of one of these breaking.

Larry