[DeTomaso] Help! My clutch is on fire!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 15:48:42 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/25/07 11:03:54 AM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

<< Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what kind of pressure plate it has,
and I don't even know what I would be looking for.  I might take a look at the
manual, though, and try adjusting the clutch, although on the other hand, I
might just wait until next week and let my mechanic do it--I wouldn't want to
mess something up! >>

FWIW, things are already messed up so you probably can't do much further
damage, but thats your prerogative, as this is that most distasteful of jobs- a
re-do! Tell your mechanic that not only is the clutch freeplay adjustment
critical, but it changes a little with an aluminum bellhousing and transaxle when
things are hot back there. So he shouldn't try to adjust freeplay to a gnat's
eyebrow with the engine stone-cold & expect things to stay that way when the
engine & ZF are smoking-hot. The Red Owners manual shows the freeplay adjust
method but does not mention that if non-OEM parts are used, the bellcrank lever
may need to be repositioned one or more splines on its cross-shaft in the
bellhousing. I've seen these levers so heavily preloaded with new non-stock parts
that with the trans in gear, the car wouldn't move!
And since the horrible noise was undoubtably the throwout bearing dragging
against the clutch fingers or even partially seized up (the smoke may be from
throwout bearing grease forced past the bearing's seal by frictional heat), it
may pay for him to closely examine BOTH these parts- which cannot be done
through the inspection hole, but only by sliding the ZF back at least a few inches.
Good luck- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get
a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
</HTML>