[DeTomaso] Help! My clutch is on fire!

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Aug 25 10:46:03 EDT 2007

I need some help.  When I had my engine out of my '72, my mechanic added a
new, centerforce clutch which has been working fine for a month or so (maybe
700 miles).  I noticed a while back I would occasionally hear a kind of
squeaking noise as I let off the clutch, but it didn't feel as if it was
slipping and once fully engaged the noise went away.

Today, on my way to a car show, the squeaking noise got very loud in first,
second and third gears, and all of a sudden smoke started rising from the
engine compartment (it smelled a bit like burning rubber).  I immediately
pulled over and stopped and turned off the car.  When things had returned to
normal, I tried again with the same result.  I found, however, that as long
as the clutch was depressed, no noise and no smoke, but when I released the
clutch when in gear--noise and smoke.

Then, on the way back home, the problem kind of went away except for second
gear, and (of course) by the time I got home things seemed to be working
normally again.  Since the car show is an hour away, I don't want to risk
driving there without first fixing this problem.

I'm pretty sure the clutch must be slipping, but why or how to fix it I do
not know.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Chris