[DeTomaso] EXTRA FUEL TANK

Patrick Hals patrickhals at skynet.be
Fri Aug 24 08:42:20 EDT 2007

On my two factory Gr 4, the present fuel tanks sit under the front hood
In Candy 2862, it has a capacity of 118 liters ( 30 gallons approx ) , which is good for approx one hour at Le Mans ! Installation of such a huge piece has requested taking away part of the original front counter wing, in order to increase the volume. The result is excellent.
In Andy 2342, the capacity is 65 liters ( 16 gallons ) i.e; you run out of fuel after 40 minutes at Le Mans, and Mike Drew and Gray Gregory end up pushing the car in front of 70.000 people :>)) It sits in the front hood, no problem.
In my spares, I have one original 1972 GR4 fuel tank, that was fitted in the back trunk, on the right side of the car, after eliminating the original tanks and everything that's in the way. This tank has a capacity of 100 liters + ( don't know how much exactly , as I never used it ) but it is among the most complicated and sophisticaced welded aluminium piece that I have ever seen.
Freddy De Lombaerde, who took over the DT import from Claude Dubois in belgium in the 90's, had an aluminium "race tank" of 150 liters + ( a little less than 40 gallons) above the gearbox. It was practically taking all the space in the back ( no more boot tub of course ) The first thing the new owner did was eliminating this time bomb. I'm glad he did. Just figure out a crash at the back right after refueling, just above engine and gearbox....you can start counting the deads....
For nothing on earth would I install additional fuel tank in the back of the car.
To give you an idea, you can practically start cooking an omelette on my decklid after a race, and my car does NOT overheat, even at 7000 RPM ( most of the times ) Just figure out what's the temperature inside the trunk if you're driving hard, or if you enjoy SoCal sun.....
Another important aspect, as Mike says, is the weight.
You have to put the gas somewhere, and the lowest the best. Still, in Candy, with a half tank, my weight balance teaches me that I have 49 % on the front, and 51 on the back. Just figure out the disproportion if you add some weight on the back.
Last but not least, the sides of the passenger: I'd keep the gas as far away from me as I can. That's what has prevented me from buying an old Formula One, because you are just sitting "inside" the gas, so to speak. Countless deads as well.
Best to you all
Patrick