[DeTomaso] Rust Removal

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Thu Aug 23 08:19:23 EDT 2007

Stephen,

I use electrolysis for removing rust and am pleased with the results.
There is no limit to the size of the container used to submerse a rusted
item. You could use a large plastic trash can or any container of your
choice. I use a discarded 50 gal. plastic antifreeze drum and suspend
two expanded metal anodes bent to conform to the inside of the
container. I have always wondered if a steel 50 gal. trash can or oil
drum would serve as both an anode and container. I place a 1/2"
stainless bar across the top, from which I use coat hanger wire to
suspend rusted parts.

It is not necessary to construct a power supply since a cheapo battery
charger will supply 6 to 10 amps at 12 volts. This seems to be adequate
current but removing heavy rust takes a few days. A black deposit
remains after the rust has gone and this can easily be removed with a
small wire brush. I use my glass beader to remove the deposit along with
any remaining rust. To only bead blast takes a very long time on a
heavily rusted surface so I strip the rust with electrolysis first.

Sodium Carbonate is the chemical used and should not be confused with
Sodium Bicarbonate. It was once available as washing soda but has
disappeared from many store shelves. It can be found in large quantities
at swimming pool supply stores.

I have tried Evapo-Rust but was not impressed by its ability to remove
heavy rust. At $19 and above per gallon the electrolysis method is much
cheaper considering Evapo-Rust and other comparable products have a
limited life.

I had my '54 Corvette frame stripped by a local Redi Strip shop and have
tried unsuccessfully to find what chemicals they use. They do en
excellent job.

Fred T.