[DeTomaso] Aluminum Rear Carriers on Ebay

Peter Havlik phavlik at pris.ca
Sun Aug 19 13:16:35 EDT 2007

Mark:

There are two factors influencing my decision. First is the strength
and durability of the magnesium uprights. Magnesium is prone to rapid
corrosion, and I would hate to go to the trouble and expense of
acquiring and installing the magnesium uprights if they were either
unsafe or short-lived. Magnesium needs to remain perfectly sealed in
order to prevent corrosion, and this struck me as difficult if not
impossible to achieve in a suspension component. It makes little
sense to make this modification in search of improved performance and
then wind up being afraid to drive the car lest a rock chip the
finish and expose the magnesium to water or other corrosive
contaminants. The safety issue is also a big one for me - I have no
idea how or if these uprights were engineered, and I would want to be
sure they were at least as strong as the originals.

The second concern, of course, is cost. That's why I suggested that
if enough of us committed to buying them, perhaps we could get a
better price. So far I count three expressions of interest. If enough
people add theirs so that we can achieve some economy of scale, I
would be willing to call Pat to see if he would be interested and
what the price could be brought down to. And, yes, they will not be
cheap, but they will hopefully be proven and much more true to the
original design than using Corvette parts.

Now we just need one of the engineers on this list to look at them
and tell us if they are truly sound. I would also want to know for
sure if they will work on late model cars although, if I recall
correctly, Pat said they would.

- Peter

Message: 9