[DeTomaso] New Engine

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 17 13:55:06 EDT 2007

There are only a handful of engine builders I'd trust w/out a personal recommendation.

In other words, personally, I'd trust Mark McKeown, Jack Rousch, or Jim Kuntz even though I've never dealt with them before.  I trust their reputation.

I'd also trust Dave Williams, Russ Phelps, Gessford Engineering, or Dennis Quella through personal experience or recommendations from people I trust.

I'd screw it together myself, even though I'd farm out the machine work.

If you do a 351C, you might want to consider a partial block fill.  I filled my block with HardBlok up to the bottom of the water pump holes.  It's about 1/3 of the way up the freeze plugs.  The oil runs a little hotter, but it isn't bad.  I don't have an oil cooler.

The biggest advantages to going 351W are more cubes possible, plus more shops that specialize in 351W.  After all, the 5.0 is about as prolific as the 350 Chevy, and a 351W is just a bigger 5.0.

The biggest advantage to 351C is it sounds and looks right.  Don't believe that a 351W will be more reliable or make more power.  You just have to build it right.

Will.