[DeTomaso] Question about Dropped Floor Pans..

Matt Merritt mmerritt at eventvehicles.com
Tue Aug 14 10:34:58 EDT 2007

Hi Chuck:

I had the "Street" seat that had lower sides for easier ingress/egress.

Here's the seat:  http://www.racetechseatsna.com/race_seats/RTROAD.html

But it really doesn't matter - you can use any fiberglass seat that has a
round, butt-contoured bottom.  Here's a posting I made to the Lotus bulletin
board about how I modified my Exige's seat the same way.  Made it possible
for me to even wear a helmet in the Lotus.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33971

Because of its aluminum floor pan you need to retain the stock mounting
points with the Lotus.  That's why I needed to fabricate a bracket for that
car.  I believe any of those Racetech side-mounting brackets would work for
the Pantera or you could easily just fabricate a set yourself, I think.

Just as I'd done with the Lotus, I suggest you duplicate the angles of the
floor and firewall of the Pantera in your garage with plywood to make sure
you've got the angles right, scribe a line where you want to cut and then
get out the Dremel.

By having the cut area perfectly flat on the floor pan you're effectively
making the floor a structural part of the seat.  Makes for a sturdy
mounting.

I did this with both my blue street Pantera and the yellow racecar.  Worked
great.  Only catch is that there's only a bit of seat padding, some carpet,
and the stock floor between your butt and the speedbump.  But probably still
better than a dropped floor pan.

I have a cut Racetech Road seat sitting in my garage.  I'm getting tired of
offering it to Mark McWhinney so if you want me to send it to you to try in
your car let me know.

MM