[DeTomaso] new owner ZF education time

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 15:57:09 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/12/07 12:28:47 PM, 6d9gt500 at comcast.net writes:

<< Since I am not getting chatter.. and all seems fine.. My clutches may be
shot. and I really don't drive it to hard yet... so should I change the fluid
to redline or let it be??   >>

IMHO, if your Pantera is not racing for money and not chattering in sharp
turns in the wet where chatter is easiest to feel, don't bother to change fluids.
Just be sure the thing is full to specs- and this is not as easy as just
dumping a container into a tranny. Draining an assembled ZF will only extract
about 75-80% of the fluid actually inside.
Don't tell me you haven't checked the LSD clutches- a torque wrench on a
wheel nut is all thats needed. Breakaway torque should be around 40-ft lbs. Or if
you don't own a torque wrench & don't mind using a GM test, wet down a 2 ft
stretch of paved driveway with soapy water in front of one rear tire, put a 2x4
in front of the other tire and see if the LSD will allow the tire to climb the
board. Tests don't come simpler than that!
Good luck- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get
a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
</HTML>