[DeTomaso] Question about Dropped Floor Pans..

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 04:00:37 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/12/07 21 29 0, littofreakydevil at aol.com writes:

> Those dropped floor pans drop the floor in the seat area about 3" am i
> correct? Considering how low the pantera is, with it dropped 3", isn't the seat
> area one of the closest things in contact with the ground? Do the guys with a
> dropped floor pan normally raise up their car or something or.. risk
> bottoming out and getting it caught on something and ripping the floor apart? Just
> curious.. can anyone enlighten the young one? :) Thanks!

Larry,

Not all dropped floor pans are created equal.   The strongest, deepest and
most vulnurable I've seen came from Pantera East (I think Kirk Evans made them).
  I think they feature a 2 1/2 inch drop, and they make the floorpan by FAR
the lowest thing on the car.   I have driven Larry Stock's car fitted with
these pans, and it felt like I was sitting inside a bucket.   And they bottomed
out pretty fierce when climbing off the shoulder of the highway onto the
pavement.

Other vendor pans have a less-extreme drop.   And some other people have
simply sliced the stock pans on the side and rear, bent them down, then welded in
triangular steel pieces on each side, and a rectangular one at the back, to
lower just the rear part of the pan.

*You* do not need lowered floor pans. :>)