[DeTomaso] other question on super traps

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Aug 12 22:22:15 EDT 2007

There are limits to what my neighbors will tolerate.

Many years back, David Bell helped me replace an axle on my open wheel
racecar.  Of course we needed to test it, so I took it for spin around the
neighborhood.  Pleased that it worked, I offered David the chance to drive
it.  He was hesitant and I remarked that he should seize the wheel as
opportunities to drive Formula cars did not come up frequently for many
people.

As I recall, he tentatively drove it a short distance and returned.  I
quizzed him on the run and determined that he had pretty much idled about
without the engine ever getting on cam.  Driving an unfamiliar car without a
windscreen with the wind in your face generally creates the impression that
you are traveling faster than you are.

So this time he ventured out again and sped the car down a reasonably long
cul-de-sac that ran parallel to mine.

He returned with a wider smile on his face.  As I recall, Dave was proud
that he had sampled the engine's rev capability and that he had found second
gear before slowing.  Unfortunately, I hadn't informed him that near red
line, first to second came at 80MPH.

As we pried him from the cockpit, my wife came out of the house to inform us
that the neighbors on the other street had called to complain about my
indiscretion and irresponsible behavior with children playing in the yards.

That ended testing for the day.

JT