[DeTomaso] Clutch slipping at 3000 RPMs

Konrad.Szwab at AlconLabs.com Konrad.Szwab at AlconLabs.com
Sun Aug 12 21:24:58 EDT 2007

Thank you for the excellent explanation and the links !

If it is fried, it is fried and will be replaced.

I will study those links and discuss with some members locally and see what they could determine on a physical inspection and then a decision will be made :(

________________________________

From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com on behalf of Dick Koch
Sent: Sun 8/12/2007 4:30 PM
To: de tomaso digest
Subject: [DeTomaso] Clutch slipping at 3000 RPMs

Based on your pictures and how you described the problem, it looks like
that you have in fact bottomed out the slave cylinder (what I described
in my prior post).  When the clutch starts slipping and it gets
progressively worse, the odds are you have ruined the clutch assembly
(clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.) and they will have to be
replaced or refurbished.

The results of an improperly adjusted clutch can be seen at:
<http://home.earthlink.net/~arkoch/Old%20Clutch/>

These are pictures of my clutch and pressure plate. The flywheel surface
looks the same as the pressure plate.  The picture of the clutch does
not show the extent of the damage to it.

For reference, look at the clutch release system schematic on
Wilkinson's site:

Clutch release system:
<http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill9b.html>
Slave cylinder bracket:
<http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=05031B
Clutch release lever arm;
<http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=05027A>

If there is no adjustment stop on the slave cylinder bracket (see item
45)  as in your case (which Mike pointed out) and the clutch is
slipping, it does appear you have bottomed out the slave cylinder.  You
probably can't move the clutch release lever arm with your hand, which
you should be able to do with a properly adjusted clutch assembly.
Another indication of that problem is the closeness of the clutch
release lever arm (item 35) to the bell housing.

You have two adjustments that provide for full engagement of the
clutch:  the rod and plunger assembly (see item 50), that determines how
long the slave rod is, and the clutch release lever arm.  The clutch
release lever arm is adjusted by removing it from the transaxle, then
rotating it when reinstalling it on the splined shaft on which it is
mounted.  Moving it just one spline will give you considerable
adjustment leeway with the slave cylinder.

For such an easy maintenance item, it seems to be one of the least
checked.  In my case it was, but no more.

Konrad, given the amount of time and mileage you have put on your car, I
have no reservations in saying you have fried your clutch and it will
have to be replaced.

Dick Koch - Atlanta