[DeTomaso] Techno question: dead temp gauge

Paul Timko thedrol at pobox.com
Sun Aug 12 17:08:01 EDT 2007

You can't use one car to test the other unless you connect the ground of
both cars together (at the battery, engine or chassis).

I'm not exactly sure what was done during the two D cell battery test,
but I believe that the +12V to the gauge is broken, missing blown fuse.
  the +12V goes in one terminal on the gauge, the current travels
through the gauge to the "sender" (not really a good name) in the block.
  Think of the sender as a variable resistor that changes resistance as
the temperature changes.  The resistance goes down as the temperature
goes up, so the current goes up with the temperature, causing the gauge
to read a higher value.

So check the positive connection to the gauge.

Paul