[DeTomaso] Clutch slipping at 3000 RPMs

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 13:26:33 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/10/07 7:31:22 AM, Konrad.Szwab at AlconLabs.com writes:

<< Could it be that I have the short throw slave cylinder and I would need a
long throw ? Would this prevent the clutch from fully engaging ? How can I
tell which one I have ?  >>

A long throw slave only allows more disengagement, so if properly adjusted,
the kind of slave should have no effect on cluch engagement. Long throws allow
better shifting and longer ZF life but don't affect clutch holding power.
Assuming the disc is not hopelessly worn, if the slave piston is fully
bottomed in the cylinder and you have zero free-play, that pre-loads the clutch and
detracts from the clutches holding power. Also, it causes the throwout bearing
to be in constant contact with the clutch fingers and will wear them both out
in pretty short order. If you have a stock Long style clutch, the ends of the
clutch fingers are replaceable hardened buttons. What you absolutely need is
a little free play between the clutch fingers and the throwout linkage. If no
adjustment is left in the actuating rod, you can remove the link arm the rod
attaches to, move it one or more splines on the horizontal rod that passes
through the bellhousing, and readjust for free play. Good luck- J Deryke

FWIW, a long throw slave cylinder is usually stainless steel and measures
3-3/8" long from the point where the boot attaches to the highest point on the
rear of the cylinder. Stock slaves arec always rusty and are a bit shorter. Good
sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
</HTML>